Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A hierarchy among a group, as of people, classes, or nations: "The astronauts had developed a pecking order that was military in its rigidity" (Tom Wolfe).
2. The social hierarchy in a flock of domestic fowl in which each bird pecks subordinate birds and submits to being pecked by dominant birds.
1. (Zoology) Also called: peck order a natural hierarchy in a group of gregarious birds, such as domestic fowl
2. any hierarchical order, as among people in a particular group
1. Also, peck′ or`der. a dominance hierarchy of domestic poultry in which each bird's status is maintained by pecking a bird of lower status.
2. a hierarchy of status or authority in a social group.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||pecking order - the organization of people at different ranks in an administrative body|
governance, governing body, organisation, administration, brass, establishment, organization - the persons (or committees or departments etc.) who make up a body for the purpose of administering something; "he claims that the present administration is corrupt"; "the governance of an association is responsible to its members"; "he quickly became recognized as a member of the establishment"
hierarch - a person who holds a high position in a hierarchy