Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Botany The stalk of an inflorescence or a stalk bearing a solitary flower in a one-flowered inflorescence.
2. Zoology A stalklike structure in invertebrate animals, usually serving as an attachment for a larger part or structure.
3. Anatomy A stalklike bundle of nerve fibers connecting different parts of the brain.
4. Medicine The stalklike base to which a polyp or tumor is attached.
pe·dun′cu·lar (pĭ-dŭng′kyə-lər) adj.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Botany) the stalk of a plant bearing an inflorescence or solitary flower
2. (Anatomy) anatomy a stalklike structure, esp a large bundle of nerve fibres within the brain
3. (Pathology) pathol a slender process of tissue by which a polyp or tumour is attached to the body
4. (Biology) biology another name for pedicel2
[C18: from New Latin pedunculus, from Latin pedīculus little foot; see pedicle]
peˈduncled, peduncular adj
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
pe•dun•cle(pɪˈdʌŋ kəl, ˈpi dʌŋ-)
1. the stalk that supports a flower or flower cluster.
2. the stem bearing a mushroom cap.
3. any stalklike process serving as a support.
4. a band of nervous tissue connecting different parts of the brain.
[1745–55; < New Latin pedunculus= Latin ped-, s. of pēs foot + -unculus diminutive suffix, orig. of n-stems; compare carbuncle, homunculus]
pe•dun′cled, pe•dun′cu•lar (-kyə lər) adj.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
1. Botany The stalk of a single flower or flower cluster. See more at flower.
2. Zoology A stalk supporting an animal organ, such as the eyestalk of a lobster.
The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||peduncle - the thin process of tissue that attaches a polyp to the body|
growth - (pathology) an abnormal proliferation of tissue (as in a tumor)
pedunculated polyp - a polyp with a stalk or peduncle
|2.||peduncle - stalk bearing an inflorescence or solitary flower|
|3.||peduncle - a bundle of myelinated neurons joining different parts of the brain|
nerve pathway, nerve tract, pathway, tract - a bundle of myelinated nerve fibers following a path through the brain
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.