pellet(redirected from pelleting)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. A small, solid or densely packed ball or mass, as of food, wax, or medicine.
a. A bullet or piece of small shot.
b. A stone ball, used as a catapult missile or a primitive cannonball.
tr.v. pel·let·ed, pel·let·ing, pel·lets
1. To make or form into pellets.
2. To strike with pellets.
[Middle English pelet, from Old French pelote, from Vulgar Latin *pilotta, diminutive of Latin pila, ball; akin to pilus, hair (since the balls used in ancient Roman games were stuffed with hair).]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. a small round ball, esp of compressed matter: a wax pellet.
2. (Firearms, Gunnery, Ordnance & Artillery)
a. an imitation bullet used in toy guns
b. a piece of small shot
3. (Firearms, Gunnery, Ordnance & Artillery) a stone ball formerly used as a catapult or cannon missile
4. (Zoology) ornithol Also called: cast or casting a mass of undigested food, including bones, fur, feathers, etc, that is regurgitated by certain birds, esp birds of prey
5. (Pharmacology) a small pill
6. (Art Terms) a raised area on coins and carved or moulded ornaments
7. to strike with pellets
8. to make or form into pellets
[C14: from Old French pelote, from Vulgar Latin pilota (unattested), from Latin pila ball]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a small, rounded body, as of food or medicine.
2. a small wad or ball of wax, paper, etc., for throwing, shooting, or the like.
3. one of a charge of small shot, as for a shotgun.
4. a bullet.
5. a ball, usu. of stone, formerly used as a missile.
6. a small, roundish mass of matter regurgitated by certain predatory birds, consisting of the indigestible remains of the prey.v.t.
7. to hit with pellets.
8. to form into pellets; pelletize.
[1325–75; Middle English pelet < Middle French pelote < Vulgar Latin *pilotta, diminutive of Latin pila ball. See pill1, -et]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: pelleted
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||pellet - a small sphere|
|2.||pellet - a solid missile discharged from a firearm; "the shot buzzed past his ear"|
canister, canister shot, case shot - a metallic cylinder packed with shot and used as ammunition in a firearm
grapeshot, grape - a cluster of small projectiles fired together from a cannon to produce a hail of shot
musket ball, ball - a solid projectile that is shot by a musket; "they had to carry a ramrod as well as powder and ball"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
2. little ball, little piece A beetle was rolling a pellet of dung up the hill.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
رَصاصَه، كُرَيَّهكُرَةٌ صَغِيرَةٌ
pellet[ˈpelɪt] N (= little ball) → bolita f; (for gun) → perdigón m; [of fertilizer] → gránulo m (Med) → píldora f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
[paper, bread, animal food, dung] → boulette f
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
a little ball or similarly-shaped object. He bought a box of lead pellets for his gun. balletjie, korreltjie رَصاصَه، كُرَيَّه топче bolinha kulička, tabletka, brok das Kügelchen kugle σκάγι bolita, perdigón kuulike, haavel ساچمه pelletti boulette, grainכדורית गोली, गुटिका sitna sačma, metak golyócska peluru smákúla pallottola, pallino 小弾丸 작은 알, 산탄 gumulėlis, šratas lodīte; bumbiņa; skrots kacang-kacang balletjeliten kule; haglkulka, ziarenko ګولۍ (لكه ددوا او ډوډۍ): مړ دك، كاړتوس chumbo alică шарик; дробинка; пулька guľka, brok kroglica sačma kula, blyhagel, pellet ก้อนกลมเล็ก ๆ kurşun 小球，小丸，子彈 кулька; дробинка چھرا، گولي viên đạn nhỏ 小球，药丸，子弹
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2013 K Dictionaries Ltd.
pellet→ كُرَةٌ صَغِيرَةٌ kulička kugle Kügelchen βώλος perdigón pelletti grain kuglica pallottolina 小球 작은 공 balletje liten kule kulka pelota катышек liten kula ก้อนกลมเล็กๆ tanecik viên 小球
Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009