pennate(redirected from pennated)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Having feathers or wings.
2. Having elongate, bilaterally symmetrical valves. Used of diatoms.
3. Resembling a feather. Used especially of a muscle whose fibers extend obliquely from a tendon.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Zoology) having feathers, wings, or winglike structures
2. (Botany) another word for pinnate
[C19: from Latin pennātus, from penna wing]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014