Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to pennywort: Gotu Kola
a. Any of various creeping aquatic or semiaquatic plants of the genus Hydrocotyle, having round or oval scalloped leaves and small white or greenish flowers grouped in umbels.
b. A Eurasian plant (Umbilicus rupestris) having fleshy peltate leaves and a tall stalk of yellowish-green flowers. Also called navelwort.
2. Any of various other plants having rounded leaves suggestive of pennies.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Plants) Also called: navelwort a crassulaceous Eurasian rock plant, Umbilicus rupestris (or Cotyledon umbilicus), with whitish-green tubular flowers and rounded leaves
2. (Plants) a marsh plant, Hydrocotyle vulgaris, of Europe and North Africa, having circular leaves and greenish-pink flowers: family Hydrocotylaceae
3. (Plants) a gentianaceous plant, Obolaria virginica, of E North America, with fleshy scalelike leaves and small white or purplish flowers
4. (Plants) any of various other plants with rounded penny-like leaves
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014