Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A sluice or gate used to control a flow of water.
2. A pipe or conduit used to carry water to a water wheel or turbine.
1. (Mechanical Engineering) a conduit that supplies water to a hydroelectric power plant
2. (Mechanical Engineering) a channel bringing water from the head gates to a water wheel
3. (Mechanical Engineering) a sluice for controlling water flow
[C17: from pen2 + stock]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||penstock - regulator consisting of a valve or gate that controls the rate of water flow through a sluice|
regulator - any of various controls or devices for regulating or controlling fluid flow, pressure, temperature, etc.
|2.||penstock - conduit that carries a rapid flow of water controlled by a sluicegate|
conduit - a passage (a pipe or tunnel) through which water or electric wires can pass; "the computers were connected through a system of conduits"