Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. Of, relating to, or assisting digestion: peptic secretion.
b. Induced by or associated with the action of digestive secretions: a peptic ulcer.
2. Of, relating to, or involving pepsin.
3. Capable of digesting.
A digestive agent.
1. (Physiology) of, relating to, or promoting digestion
2. (Biochemistry) of, relating to, or caused by pepsin or the action of the digestive juices
[C17: from Greek peptikos capable of digesting, from pepsis digestion, from peptein to digest]
1. pertaining to or associated with digestion.
2. promoting digestion.
3. of or pertaining to pepsin.n.
4. a substance promoting digestion.
[1645–55; < Greek peptikós conducive to digestion =pept(ós) digested (verbal adj. of péptein) + -ikos -ic]
Relating to the process of digestion or the secretions associated with it.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||peptic - relating to or promoting digestion; "peptic juices"|