Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to peri-: perimenopause
1. Around; about; enclosing: perimysium.
2. Near: perinatal.
1. enclosing, encircling, or around: pericardium; pericarp; perigon.
2. near or adjacent: perihelion.
[from Greek peri around, near, about]
n., pl. -ris.
1. one of a large group of beautiful, fairylike beings of Persian mythology.
2. any lovely, graceful creature.
[1770–80; < Persian perī, variant of parī fairy, Middle Persian parīk, Avestan pairikā witch]
a prefix meaning “about,” “around” (perimeter; periscope), “enclosing,” “surrounding” (pericardium), “near” (perigee; perihelion).
[< Greek, prefixal use of perí (adv. and preposition)]
1. A prefix that means:
2. Around, as in pericardium, the membrane around the heart.
3. Near, as in perihelion, the point at which a planet is nearest the sun.