Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to peri-: perimenopause
peri-(word root) around, very
Abused, Confused, & Misused Words by Mary Embree Copyright © 2007, 2013 by Mary Embree
1. Around; about; enclosing: perimysium.
2. Near: perinatal.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. enclosing, encircling, or around: pericardium; pericarp; perigon.
2. near or adjacent: perihelion.
[from Greek peri around, near, about]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. -ris.
1. one of a large group of beautiful, fairylike beings of Persian mythology.
2. any lovely, graceful creature.
[1770–80; < Persian perī, variant of parī fairy, Middle Persian parīk, Avestan pairikā witch]
a prefix meaning “about,” “around” (perimeter; periscope), “enclosing,” “surrounding” (pericardium), “near” (perigee; perihelion).
[< Greek, prefixal use of perí (adv. and preposition)]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
1. A prefix that means:
2. Around, as in pericardium, the membrane around the heart.
3. Near, as in perihelion, the point at which a planet is nearest the sun.
The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.