Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The divalent O2 group, or a compound containing this group, such as sodium peroxide, Na2O2, used as an oxidizing agent or bleach.
2. Hydrogen peroxide.
tr.v. per·ox·id·ed, per·ox·id·ing, per·ox·ides
1. To treat with peroxide.
2. To bleach (hair) with hydrogen peroxide.
per′ox·id′ic (pûr′ŏk-sĭd′ĭk) adj.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Elements & Compounds) short for hydrogen peroxide, esp when used for bleaching hair
2. (Elements & Compounds) any of a class of metallic oxides, such as sodium peroxide, Na2O2, that contain the divalent ion –O-O–
3. (Elements & Compounds) (not in technical usage) any of certain dioxides, such as manganese peroxide, MnO2, that resemble peroxides in their formula but do not contain the –O-O– ion
4. (Elements & Compounds) any of a class of organic compounds whose molecules contain two oxygen atoms bound together. They tend to be explosive
5. (modifier) of, relating to, bleached with, or resembling peroxide
(Hairdressing & Grooming) (tr) to bleach (the hair) with peroxide
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., v. -id•ed, -id•ing. n.
a. hydrogen peroxide, H2O2 or H–O–O–H.
b. a compound containing the bivalent group –O2–, derived from hydrogen peroxide.
2. to use peroxide as a bleaching agent on (esp. the hair).
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
1. A compound containing the group O2. When any peroxide is combined with an acid, one of the products is hydrogen peroxide.
2. Hydrogen peroxide.
The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Past participle: peroxided
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||peroxide - a viscous liquid with strong oxidizing properties; a powerful bleaching agent; also used (in aqueous solutions) as a mild disinfectant and (in strong concentrations) as an oxidant in rocket fuels|
|2.||peroxide - an inorganic compound containing the divalent ion -O-O-|
benzoyl peroxide - a white crystalline peroxide used in bleaching (flour or oils or fats) and as a catalyst for free radical reactions
oxide - any compound of oxygen with another element or a radical
|Verb||1.||peroxide - bleach with peroxide; "She must peroxide her hair-it looks unnaturally blond"|
bleach - make whiter or lighter; "bleach the laundry"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
agua oxigenadaperóxido de hidrógeno
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
peroxide[pəˈrɒksaɪd] n → perossido
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
n. peróxido de hidrógeno, agua oxigenada.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012
English-Spanish/Spanish-English Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.