peroxide(redirected from peroxides)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to peroxides: Superoxides
1. The divalent O2 group, or a compound containing this group, such as sodium peroxide, Na2O2, used as an oxidizing agent or bleach.
2. Hydrogen peroxide.
tr.v. per·ox·id·ed, per·ox·id·ing, per·ox·ides
1. To treat with peroxide.
2. To bleach (hair) with hydrogen peroxide.
per′ox·id′ic (pûr′ŏk-sĭd′ĭk) adj.
1. (Elements & Compounds) short for hydrogen peroxide, esp when used for bleaching hair
2. (Elements & Compounds) any of a class of metallic oxides, such as sodium peroxide, Na2O2, that contain the divalent ion –O-O–
3. (Elements & Compounds) (not in technical usage) any of certain dioxides, such as manganese peroxide, MnO2, that resemble peroxides in their formula but do not contain the –O-O– ion
4. (Elements & Compounds) any of a class of organic compounds whose molecules contain two oxygen atoms bound together. They tend to be explosive
5. (modifier) of, relating to, bleached with, or resembling peroxide
(Hairdressing & Grooming) (tr) to bleach (the hair) with peroxide
n., v. -id•ed, -id•ing. n.
a. hydrogen peroxide, H2O2 or H–O–O–H.
b. a compound containing the bivalent group –O2–, derived from hydrogen peroxide.
2. to use peroxide as a bleaching agent on (esp. the hair).
1. A compound containing the group O2. When any peroxide is combined with an acid, one of the products is hydrogen peroxide.
2. Hydrogen peroxide.
Past participle: peroxided
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||peroxide - a viscous liquid with strong oxidizing properties; a powerful bleaching agent; also used (in aqueous solutions) as a mild disinfectant and (in strong concentrations) as an oxidant in rocket fuels|
|2.||peroxide - an inorganic compound containing the divalent ion -O-O-|
benzoyl peroxide - a white crystalline peroxide used in bleaching (flour or oils or fats) and as a catalyst for free radical reactions
oxide - any compound of oxygen with another element or a radical
|Verb||1.||peroxide - bleach with peroxide; "She must peroxide her hair-it looks unnaturally blond"|
bleach - make whiter or lighter; "bleach the laundry"
agua oxigenadaperóxido de hidrógeno
peroxide[pəˈrɒksaɪd] n → perossido
n. peróxido de hidrógeno, agua oxigenada.