perpetuity(redirected from perpetuities)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. per·pe·tu·i·tiesIdiom:
1. The quality or condition of being perpetual: "The perpetuity of the Church was an article of faith" (Morris L. West).
2. Time without end; eternity.
a. The condition of an estate that is limited so as to be inalienable either perpetually or longer than the period determined by law.
b. An estate so limited.
4. An annuity payable indefinitely.
For an indefinite period of time; forever.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -ties
2. the state or quality of being perpetual
3. (Law) property law a limitation preventing the absolute disposal of an estate for longer than the period allowed by law
4. (Banking & Finance) an annuity with no maturity date and payable indefinitely
5. in perpetuity for ever
[C15: from Old French perpetuite, from Latin perpetuitās continuity; see perpetual]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
per•pe•tu•i•ty(ˌpɜr pɪˈtu ɪ ti, -ˈtyu-)
n., pl. -ties.
1. the state or character of being perpetual.
2. endless or indefinitely long duration or existence.
3. an annuity paid for life.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||perpetuity - the property of being perpetual (seemingly ceaseless)|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
1. The quality or state of having no end:
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
in perpetuity → à perpétuité
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
perpetuity[ˌpɜːpɪˈtjuːɪtɪ] n in perpetuity → in perpetuo
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995