Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Of, relating to, or resembling a phallus.
2. Of or relating to the cult of the phallus as an embodiment of generative power: phallic worship.
3. Of or relating to the third stage of psychosexual development in psychoanalytic theory, from about ages three to six, during which gratification is focused on sensations associated with the genital organs. The phallic stage is preceded by the anal stage and followed by the latency period.
[Greek phallikos, from phallos, phallus; see phallus.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. of, relating to, or resembling a phallus: a phallic symbol.
2. (Psychoanalysis) psychoanal
a. relating to a stage of psychosexual development during which a male child's interest is concentrated on the genital organs
b. designating personality traits, such as conceit and self-assurance, due to fixation at the phallic stage of development. Compare anal2, oral7, genital2
c. (in Freudian theory) denoting a phase of early childhood in which there is a belief that both sexes possess a phallus
3. (Other Non-Christian Religious Writings) of or relating to phallicism
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. of, pertaining to, or resembling a phallus.
2. of or pertaining to phallicism.
[1780–90; < Greek phallikós]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||phallic - relating to a phallus especially as an embodiment of generative power; "a phallic cult"; "phallic worship"|
|2.||phallic - resembling or being a phallus; "a phallic symbol"; "phallic eroticism"; "priapic figurines"|
male - being the sex (of plant or animal) that produces gametes (spermatozoa) that perform the fertilizing function in generation; "a male infant"; "a male holly tree"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
phallic[ˈfælɪk] ADJ → fálico
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
phallic[ˈfælɪk] adj → fallico/a
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
a. fálico, rel. al pene.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012
English-Spanish/Spanish-English Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.