phallic(redirected from phallicly)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Of, relating to, or resembling a phallus.
2. Of or relating to the cult of the phallus as an embodiment of generative power: phallic worship.
3. Of or relating to the third stage of psychosexual development in psychoanalytic theory, from about ages three to six, during which gratification is focused on sensations associated with the genital organs. The phallic stage is preceded by the anal stage and followed by the latency period.
[Greek phallikos, from phallos, phallus; see phallus.]
1. of, relating to, or resembling a phallus: a phallic symbol.
2. (Psychoanalysis) psychoanal
a. relating to a stage of psychosexual development during which a male child's interest is concentrated on the genital organs
b. designating personality traits, such as conceit and self-assurance, due to fixation at the phallic stage of development. Compare anal2, oral7, genital2
c. (in Freudian theory) denoting a phase of early childhood in which there is a belief that both sexes possess a phallus
3. (Other Non-Christian Religious Writings) of or relating to phallicism
1. of, pertaining to, or resembling a phallus.
2. of or pertaining to phallicism.
[1780–90; < Greek phallikós]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||phallic - relating to a phallus especially as an embodiment of generative power; "a phallic cult"; "phallic worship"|
|2.||phallic - resembling or being a phallus; "a phallic symbol"; "phallic eroticism"; "priapic figurines"|
male - being the sex (of plant or animal) that produces gametes (spermatozoa) that perform the fertilizing function in generation; "a male infant"; "a male holly tree"