Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to phallus: Phallus ravenelii
n. pl. phal·li (făl′ī′) or phal·lus·es
a. The penis.
b. The sexually undifferentiated tissue in an embryo that becomes the penis or clitoris.
2. A representation of the erect penis as an embodiment of generative power.
n, pl -luses or -li (-laɪ)
1. (Anatomy) another word for penis
2. (Other Non-Christian Religions) an image of the penis, esp as a religious symbol of reproductive power
[C17: via Late Latin from Greek phallos]
n., pl. phal•li (ˈfæl aɪ)
1. a representation of the penis, employed in the art and religious practices of various cultures, usu. as a symbol of male generative powers.
3. the undifferentiated embryonic organ out of which either the penis or the clitoris develops.
[1605–15; < Latin < Greek phallós penis]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Phallus - genus of fungi having the cap or pileus hanging free around the stem|
fungus genus - includes lichen genera
family Phallaceae, Phallaceae - a family of fungi belonging to the order Phallales and comprising the true stinkhorns
common stinkhorn, Phallus impudicus - a common fungus formerly used in preparing a salve for rheumatism
Phallus ravenelii - this stinkhorn has a cap with a granulose surface at the apex and smells like decaying flesh
|2.||phallus - the male organ of copulation (`member' is a euphemism)|
glans penis - the conical mass of erectile tissue that forms the head of the penis
vena bulbi penis - vein of the head of the penis; tributary of the internal pudendal vein that drains the perineum
urethra - duct through which urine is discharged in most mammals and which serves as the male genital duct
male reproductive system - the reproductive system of males
erectile organ - an organ containing erectile tissue