Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to phallus: Phallus ravenelii
?Note: This page may contain content that is offensive or inappropriate for some readers.
n. pl. phal·li (făl′ī′) or phal·lus·es
a. The penis.
b. The sexually undifferentiated tissue in an embryo that becomes the penis or clitoris.
2. A representation of the erect penis as an embodiment of generative power.
n, pl -luses or -li (-laɪ)
1. (Anatomy) another word for penis
2. (Other Non-Christian Religions) an image of the penis, esp as a religious symbol of reproductive power
[C17: via Late Latin from Greek phallos]
n., pl. phal•li (ˈfæl aɪ)
1. a representation of the penis, employed in the art and religious practices of various cultures, usu. as a symbol of male generative powers.
3. the undifferentiated embryonic organ out of which either the penis or the clitoris develops.
[1605–15; < Latin < Greek phallós penis]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Phallus - genus of fungi having the cap or pileus hanging free around the stem|
fungus genus - includes lichen genera
family Phallaceae, Phallaceae - a family of fungi belonging to the order Phallales and comprising the true stinkhorns
common stinkhorn, Phallus impudicus - a common fungus formerly used in preparing a salve for rheumatism
Phallus ravenelii - this stinkhorn has a cap with a granulose surface at the apex and smells like decaying flesh
|2.||phallus - the male organ of copulation (`member' is a euphemism)|
glans penis - the conical mass of erectile tissue that forms the head of the penis
vena bulbi penis - vein of the head of the penis; tributary of the internal pudendal vein that drains the perineum
urethra - duct through which urine is discharged in most mammals and which serves as the male genital duct
male reproductive system - the reproductive system of males
erectile organ - an organ containing erectile tissue