phantom(redirected from phantom mare)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
1. Something apparently seen, heard, or sensed, but having no physical reality; a ghost or apparition.
2. An image that appears only in the mind; an illusion: phantoms of a disturbed mind.
3. Medicine A model of a human body or body part.
1. Resembling, characteristic of, or being a phantom: tales of a phantom ship haunting the bay.
2. Fictitious or nonexistent, often when intended to deceive: phantom employees on the payroll; deposits in a phantom bank account.
3. Believed to be real even though illusory: a phantom pregnancy.
4. Being a phantom limb: a phantom arm.
[Middle English fantom, from Old French fantosme, probably from Vulgar Latin *phantauma, from Greek dialectal *phantagma, from Greek phantasma; see phantasm.]
a. an apparition or spectre
b. (as modifier): a phantom army marching through the sky.
2. the visible representation of something abstract, esp as appearing in a dream or hallucination: phantoms of evil haunted his sleep.
3. something apparently unpleasant or horrific that has no material form
4. (Medicine) med another name for manikin2b
[C13: from Old French fantosme, from Latin phantasma phantasm]
1. an apparition or specter.
2. an appearance or illusion without material substance, as a mirage or optical illusion.
3. a person or thing of merely illusory power, status, efficacy, etc.: the phantom of fear.adj.
4. of, pertaining to, or of the nature of a phantom; illusory: a phantom ship; an amputee with a phantom limb.
5. nonexistent; fictitious: phantom employees on the payroll.
[1250–1300; Middle English fantosme < Middle French, Old French < Latin phantasma phantasm]
phantom- A model of a baby used in obstetric demonstration.
See also related terms for model.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||phantom - a ghostly appearing figure; "we were unprepared for the apparition that confronted us"|
disembodied spirit, spirit - any incorporeal supernatural being that can become visible (or audible) to human beings
Flying Dutchman - the captain of a phantom ship (the Flying Dutchman) who was condemned to sail against the wind until Judgment Day
|2.||phantom - something existing in perception only; "a ghostly apparition at midnight"|
flying saucer, UFO, unidentified flying object - an (apparently) flying object whose nature is unknown; especially those considered to have extraterrestrial origins
Flying Dutchman - a phantom ship that is said to appear in storms near the Cape of Good Hope
ghost, specter, wraith, spectre, spook, shade - a mental representation of some haunting experience; "he looked like he had seen a ghost"; "it aroused specters from his past"
|Adj.||1.||phantom - something apparently sensed but having no physical reality; "seemed to hear faint phantom bells"; "the amputee's illusion of a phantom limb"|
unreal - not actually such; being or seeming fanciful or imaginary; "this conversation is getting more and more unreal"; "the fantastically unreal world of government bureaucracy"; "the unreal world of advertising art"
1. spectre, ghost, spirit, shade (literary), spook (informal), apparition, wraith, revenant, phantasm Many people claimed to have seen the phantom.
n → Phantom nt; (= ghost: esp of particular person) → Geist m; phantoms of the imagination → Fantasiegebilde pl, → Phantasiegebilde pl
adj attr (= imagined) → eingebildet; (= mysterious) → Phantom-; a phantom child/knight etc → der Geist eines Kindes/Ritters etc; phantom limb pains → Phantomschmerzen pl; phantom company → Briefkastenfirma f; phantom withdrawal (from cash dispenser) → falsche or irrtümliche Abbuchung, Falschbelastung f
a ghost. The castle is said to be haunted by a phantom. spook شَبَح призрак fantasma zjevení, přízrak die Erscheinung spøgelse φάντασμαfantasma viirastus روح haamu fantômeרוח प्रेत prikaza, sablast kísértet hantu draugur, vofa fantasma 幻 유령 šmėkla, vaiduoklis fantoms; spoks hantu spookfantom, spøkelsewidmo بلا، شبح ، هغه خيالى شيان چه موجوديت نه لرى fantasma fantomă призрак prízrak prikazen fantom spöke, vålnad ผี hayalet, hortlak 鬼魂，幽靈 фантом, примара بھوت bóng ma 幻影，幽灵
1. fantoma, imagen mental;
2. patrón transparente del cuerpo y sus partes.