Phoenician(redirected from phoenicianly)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
Of or relating to ancient Phoenicia or its people, language, or culture.
1. A native or inhabitant of ancient Phoenicia.
2. The Semitic language of ancient Phoenicia.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Peoples) a member of an ancient Semitic people of NW Syria who dominated the trade of the ancient world in the first millennium bc and founded colonies throughout the Mediterranean
2. (Languages) the extinct language of this people, belonging to the Canaanitic branch of the Semitic subfamily of the Afro-Asiatic family
(Historical Terms) of or relating to Phoenicia, the Phoenicians, or their language
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Phoe•ni•cian(fɪˈnɪʃ ən, -ˈni ʃən)
1. a member of a Semitic people of Phoenicia, prominent in Mediterranean history from c1100 to c625 b.c. as merchants and colonizers.
2. the extinct western Semitic language of the Phoenicians.adj.
3. of or pertaining to Phoenicia, its people, or their language.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Phoenician - a member of an ancient Semitic people who dominated trade in the first millennium B.C.|
Semite - a member of a group of Semitic-speaking peoples of the Middle East and northern Africa
|2.||Phoenician - the extinct language of an ancient Semitic people who dominated trade in the ancient world|
Punic - the Phoenician dialect of ancient Carthage
|Adj.||1.||Phoenician - of or relating to or characteristic of Phoenicia or its inhabitants|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
A. ADJ → fenicio
B. N → fenicio/a m/f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007