Also found in: Medical, Wikipedia.
1. Of or relating to light.
2. Penetrated by or receiving light.
3. Designating or relating to the layer of a body of water that is penetrated by sufficient sunlight for photosynthesis: the photic zone of the ocean.
1. (General Physics) of or concerned with light
2. (Biology) biology of or relating to the production of light by organisms
3. (Biology) Also: photobathic designating the zone of the sea where photosynthesis takes place
[C19: from photo- + -ic]
1. of or pertaining to light.
2. pertaining to the generation of light by organisms, or their excitation by means of light.
3. pertaining to the upper zone of a body of water, delineated by the depth to which sufficient sunlight penetrates to support photosynthesis.
|Adj.||1.||photic - of or relating to or caused by light|