Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical.
photo-(word root) light
Examples of words with the root photo-: photochemical
1. Light; radiant energy: photosynthesis.
2. Photographic: photomontage.
3. Photoelectric: photoemission.
1. of, relating to, or produced by light: photosynthesis.
2. (Photography) indicating a photographic process: photolithography.
[from Greek phōs, phōt- light]
n., pl. -tos.
[1855–60; by shortening]
a combining form meaning “light” (photobiology); also used to represent photographic or photograph: photocopy.
[< Greek, comb. form of phôs (genitive phōtós)]
A prefix that means "light," as in photoreceptor.