Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
1. A visual representation or image painted, drawn, photographed, or otherwise rendered on a flat surface.
2. A visible image, especially one on a flat surface or screen: the picture reflected in the lake; focused the picture on the movie screen.
a. A vivid or realistic verbal description: a Shakespearean picture of guilt.
b. A vivid mental image.
4. A person or object bearing a marked resemblance to another: She's the picture of her mother.
5. A person, object, or scene that typifies or embodies an emotion, state of mind, or mood: Your face was the very picture of horror.
6. The chief circumstances of an event or time; the situation: How does the new boyfriend figure in the picture?
7. A movie.
8. A tableau vivant.
tr.v. pic·tured, pic·tur·ing, pic·tures
1. To make a visible representation of: In this photo, the mayor is pictured with several aides.
2. To form a mental image of; visualize: I pictured my grandfather as a young man coming to America.
3. To describe vividly in words; make a verbal picture of: pictured their heroism in glowing language.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||picturing - visual imagery|
|2.||picturing - visual representation as by photography or painting|
representation - an activity that stands as an equivalent of something or results in an equivalent