Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to pigeonhole: Pigeonhole principle
1. A small compartment or recess, as in a desk, for holding papers; a cubbyhole.
2. A specific, often oversimplified category.
3. The small hole or holes in a pigeon loft for nesting.
tr.v. pi·geon·holed, pi·geon·hol·ing, pi·geon·holes
1. To place or file in a small compartment or recess.
2. To classify mentally; categorize.
3. To put aside and ignore; shelve.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Furniture) a small compartment for papers, letters, etc, as in a bureau
2. (Animals) a hole or recess in a dovecote for pigeons to nest in
3. informal a category or classification
4. to put aside or defer
5. to classify or categorize, esp in a rigid manner
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., v. -holed, -hol•ing. n.
1. one of a series of small, open compartments in a desk, cabinet, or the like, used for filing papers, letters, etc.
2. a hole or recess, or one of a series of recesses, for pigeons to nest in.v.t.
3. to assign to a definite place in an orderly system.
4. to put aside for the present; defer.
5. to place in or as if in a pigeonhole.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: pigeonholed
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||pigeonhole - a specific (often simplistic) category|
category - a general concept that marks divisions or coordinations in a conceptual scheme
|2.||pigeonhole - a small compartment|
compartment - a space into which an area is subdivided
|Verb||1.||pigeonhole - place into a small compartment|
|2.||pigeonhole - treat or classify according to a mental stereotype; "I was stereotyped as a lazy Southern European"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
1. compartment, niche, locker, cubicle, cubbyhole There was a message waiting for me in the hotel pigeonhole.
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
1. To distribute into groups according to kinds:
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995