Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A small compartment or recess, as in a desk, for holding papers; a cubbyhole.
2. A specific, often oversimplified category.
3. The small hole or holes in a pigeon loft for nesting.
tr.v. pi·geon·holed, pi·geon·hol·ing, pi·geon·holes
1. To place or file in a small compartment or recess.
2. To classify mentally; categorize.
3. To put aside and ignore; shelve.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.