pinch-hit(redirected from pinch-hitting)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms.
Related to pinch-hitting: Pinch batting
intr.v. pinch-hit, pinch-hit·ting, pinch-hits
1. Baseball To bat in place of a player scheduled to bat, especially when a hit is badly needed.
2. Informal To substitute for another in a time of need.
pinch hit n.
pinch hitter n.
vb (intr) , -hits, -hitting or -hit
1. (Baseball) baseball to bat as a substitute for the scheduled batter
2. informal US and Canadian to act as a substitute
3. (Cricket) cricket (of a batsman in a limited-overs match) to bat aggressively at the start of an innings in order to take advantage of fielding restrictions
pinch hitter n
a hit made by a pinch hitter.
v. -hit, -hit•ting. v.i.
1. to substitute at bat for a teammate in baseball, often at a critical moment of a game.
2. to substitute for someone, esp. in an emergency.v.t.
3. to make (a hit) in pinch-hitting.
pinch′ hit′ter, n.
Past participle: pinch-hit