Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. A tropical American plant (Ananas comosus) having large swordlike leaves and a large, fleshy, edible, multiple fruit with a terminal tuft of leaves.
b. The fruit of this plant.
2. Slang A hand grenade.
[Middle English pinappel, pine cone : pine, pine; see pine1 + appel, apple; see apple.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Plants) a tropical American bromeliaceous plant, Ananas comosus, cultivated in the tropics for its large fleshy edible fruit
2. (Plants) the fruit of this plant, consisting of an inflorescence clustered around a fleshy axis and surmounted by a tuft of leaves
3. (Firearms, Gunnery, Ordnance & Artillery) military slang a hand grenade
[C14 pinappel pine cone; C17: applied to the fruit because of its appearance]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. the edible, juicy, collective fruit of a tropical bromeliad, Ananas comosus, that develops from a spike or head of flowers and is surmounted by a crown of leaves.
2. the plant itself, having a short stem and rigid, spiny-margined, recurved leaves.
3. a small hand grenade shaped like a pineapple.
[1655–65; earlier, a pine cone, Middle English pinappel]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
- collective fruit - That which is formed from a mass of flowers, as the mulberry, pineapple, etc.
- Hawaiian pizza - A pizza topped with pineapple and ham or prosciutto.
- pineapple - Originally, pineapple was the word for pinecone, since the cone is the fruit of the pine and apple had the former general meaning "fruit"; pineapple is neither "pine" nor "apple," but is a very big berry and is also called "king pine" or "excellent fruit."
- multiple fruit, fruitlet - The pineapple is termed a multiple fruit because it forms from the individual ovaries of several flowers; each raised button on its surface is called a fruitlet.
Farlex Trivia Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||pineapple - a tropical American plant bearing a large fleshy edible fruit with a terminal tuft of stiff leaves; widely cultivated in the tropics|
ananas, pineapple - large sweet fleshy tropical fruit with a terminal tuft of stiff leaves; widely cultivated
herb, herbaceous plant - a plant lacking a permanent woody stem; many are flowering garden plants or potherbs; some having medicinal properties; some are pests
|2.||pineapple - large sweet fleshy tropical fruit with a terminal tuft of stiff leaves; widely cultivated|
edible fruit - edible reproductive body of a seed plant especially one having sweet flesh
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
n → ananas m
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
pineapple[ˈpaɪnˌæpl] n → ananas m inv
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
a type of large tropical fruit shaped like a large pine-cone, or the plant which produces it. pynappel أناناس ананас abacaxi ananas die Ananas ananas ανανάςpiña ananass درخت آناناس ananas ananasאננס अनन्नास ananas ananász nenas ananas ananas パイナップル 파인애플 ananasas ananass nenas ananasananasananas انه ناس ananás ananas ананас ananás ananas ananas ananas สับปะรด ananas 菠蘿 ананас انناس quả dứa 菠萝
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2013 K Dictionaries Ltd.
pineapple→ أَنَانَاس ananas ananas Ananas ανανάς piña ananas ananas ananas ananas パイナップル 파인애플 ananas ananas ananas abacaxi, ananás ананас ananas สับปะรด ananas quả dứa 菠萝
Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009
English-Spanish/Spanish-English Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.