pinwheel(redirected from pinwheeling)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. A toy consisting of vanes of colored paper or plastic pinned to a stick so that they revolve when blown on.
2. A firework that forms a rotating wheel of colored flames. Also called catherine wheel.
3. A wheel with a circle of pins at right angles to its face, used as a tripping device.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. another name for Catherine wheel1
2. (Mechanical Engineering) a cogwheel whose teeth are formed by small pins projecting either axially or radially from the rim of the wheel
3. US and Canadian a toy consisting of plastic or paper vanes attached to a stick in such a manner that they revolve like the sails of a windmill. Also called (in Britain and certain other countries): windmill or whirligig
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a toy consisting of a small wheel with paper or plastic vanes attached by a pin to a stick, designed to revolve when blown.
2. a firework that revolves rapidly on a pin when ignited, making a wheel of fire or sparks; Catherine wheel.v.i.
3. to revolve rapidly like a pinwheel.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
pinwheel- Originally a mechanism in a clock.
See also related terms for mechanism.
Farlex Trivia Dictionary. © 2012 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||pinwheel - perennial subshrub of Tenerife having leaves in rosettes resembling pinwheels|
|2.||pinwheel - a wheel that has numerous pins that are set at right angles to its rim; "he spun the pinwheel and it stopped with the pointer on `Go'"|
wheel - a simple machine consisting of a circular frame with spokes (or a solid disc) that can rotate on a shaft or axle (as in vehicles or other machines)
|3.||pinwheel - a toy consisting of vanes of colored paper or plastic that is pinned to a stick and spins when it is pointed into the wind|
|4.||pinwheel - a circular firework that spins round and round emitting colored fire|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.