Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. One who ventures into unknown or unclaimed territory to settle.
2. One who opens up new areas of thought, research, or development: a pioneer in aviation.
3. A soldier who performs construction and demolition work in the field to facilitate troop movements.
4. A species that is typically among the first to become established in a bare, open, or disturbed area.
1. Of, relating to, or characteristic of early settlers: the pioneer spirit.
2. Leading the way; trailblazing: a pioneer treatment for cancer.
v. pi·o·neered, pi·o·neer·ing, pi·o·neers
a. To venture into (an area) or prepare (a way): rockets that pioneered outer space.
b. To settle (a region).
2. To initiate or participate in the development of: surgeons who pioneered organ transplants.
To act as a pioneer: pioneered in development of the laser.
[French pionnier, from Old French peonier, foot soldier, from peon, from Medieval Latin pedō, pedōn-, from Late Latin, one who has broad feet, from Latin pēs, ped-, foot; see ped- in Indo-European roots.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
relating to, involving, or doing new and innovative work
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
pioneering[ˌpaɪəˈnɪərɪŋ] adj [work, research] → pionnier/ière
pioneering spirit → esprit de pionnierpioneer spirit n → esprit m de pionnier
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
pioneering[ˌpaɪəˈnɪərɪŋ] adj (work, spirit) → pionieristico/a
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995