Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. One who ventures into unknown or unclaimed territory to settle.
2. One who opens up new areas of thought, research, or development: a pioneer in aviation.
3. A soldier who performs construction and demolition work in the field to facilitate troop movements.
4. A species that is typically among the first to become established in a bare, open, or disturbed area.
1. Of, relating to, or characteristic of early settlers: the pioneer spirit.
2. Leading the way; trailblazing: a pioneer treatment for cancer.
v. pi·o·neered, pi·o·neer·ing, pi·o·neers
a. To venture into (an area) or prepare (a way): rockets that pioneered outer space.
b. To settle (a region).
2. To initiate or participate in the development of: surgeons who pioneered organ transplants.
To act as a pioneer: pioneered in development of the laser.
relating to, involving, or doing new and innovative work