Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. One who holds an office or place, especially as a deputy, proxy, or appointed government official.
2. In a mathematical or logical expression, a symbol that may be replaced by the name of any element of a set.
3. In the decimal form of a number, a digit that is not significant.
1. (Mathematics) maths logic a symbol used in a logical or mathematical expression to represent another term or quantity that is not yet specified but may occupy that place later
2. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) a section of text that is placed in a document, etc temporarily until the final text is inserted there at a later stage
3. (Industrial Relations & HR Terms) commerce someone who occupies a position on behalf of someone else, such as a deputy during the absence of the superior officer
4. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) government someone who holds an official or government post, esp a post that is given as a reward for supporting the group now in power, rather than on merit
a symbol in a mathematical or logical expression that may be replaced by the name of any element of the set.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||placeholder - a person authorized to act for another|
agent - a representative who acts on behalf of other persons or organizations
|2.||placeholder - a symbol in a logical or mathematical expression that can be replaced by the name of any member of specified set|
variable - a symbol (like x or y) that is used in mathematical or logical expressions to represent a variable quantity