Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
1. An opening or slit in a garment, as at the collar or sleeve of a shirt, that makes the garment easy to put on.
2. A pocket, especially in a skirt.
1. (Knitting & Sewing) a piece of cloth sewn in under a closure with buttons, hooks and eyes, zips, etc
2. (Knitting & Sewing) the closure itself
[C16: perhaps from Middle Dutch plackaet breastplate, from Medieval Latin placca metal plate]
1. a slit, usu. with fastenings, at the neck, waist, or wrist of a garment for ease in putting it on or taking it off.
2. a pocket, esp. one in a woman's skirt.
[1595–1605; alter. of placard breastplate < Old French, derivative of plaquier to plate < Middle Dutch placken to patch; compare plaque]
n → Schlitz m