Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. One that planes, especially a machine tool that is used to smooth or finish the surfaces of wood or metal.
2. Printing A smooth block of wood used to level a form of type.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Mechanical Engineering) a machine with a cutting tool that makes repeated horizontal strokes across the surface of a workpiece: used to cut flat surfaces into metal
2. (Mechanical Engineering) a machine for planing wood, esp one in which the cutting blades are mounted on a rotating drum
3. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) printing a flat piece of wood used to level type in a chase
4. any person or thing that planes
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
a machine for removing the rough or excess surface from a board.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.