play-act(redirected from play-acts)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
play-actor play·act (plā′ăkt′)
intr.v. play-act·ed, play-act·ing, play-acts also play·act·ed or play·act·ing also play·acts
1. To play a role in a dramatic performance.
2. To play a pretended role; make believe.
3. To behave in an overdramatic or artificial manner.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (intr) to pretend or make believe
2. (intr) to behave in an overdramatic or affected manner
3. (Theatre) to act in or as in (a play)
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Past participle: play-acted
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.