Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Chemistry See polymorphism.
2. Biology The occurrence of two or more distinct forms, as of an organism during its life cycle or of cells of a certain type.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Biology) the occurrence of more than one different form in the life cycle of a plant or animal
2. (Chemistry) the occurrence of more than one different form of crystal of one chemical compound; polymorphism
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
ple•o•mor•phism(ˌpli əˈmɔr fɪz əm)
1. the occurrence of two or more forms in the life cycle of an organism.
2. the ability of a microorganism to change shape under varying conditions.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
the existence of a plant or animal in two or more distinct forms during a life cycle. Also called polymorphism. — pleomorphic, pleomorphous, adj.See also: Biology
-Ologies & -Isms. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||pleomorphism - (chemistry) the existence of different kinds of crystal of the same chemical compound|
chemical science, chemistry - the science of matter; the branch of the natural sciences dealing with the composition of substances and their properties and reactions
chemical phenomenon - any natural phenomenon involving chemistry (as changes to atoms or molecules)
dimorphism - (chemistry) the property of certain substances that enables them to exist in two distinct crystalline forms
|2.||pleomorphism - (biology) the appearance of two or more distinctly different forms in the life cycle of some organisms|
organic phenomenon - (biology) a natural phenomenon involving living plants and animals
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
n. pleomorfismo, cualidad de asumir o tener formas diferentes.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012