pliant(redirected from pliancies)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
1. Easily bent or flexed; pliable. See Synonyms at malleable.
2. Easily altered or modified to fit conditions; adaptable: a pliant poetic form.
3. Yielding readily to influence or domination; compliant: a pliant colonial regime.
[Middle English, from Old French, present participle of plier, to fold, bend, from Latin plicāre; see plek- in Indo-European roots.]
pli′an·cy, pli′ant·ness n.
1. easily bent; supple: a pliant young tree.
2. easily modified; adaptable; flexible: a pliant system.
3. yielding readily to influence; compliant
[C14: from Old French, from plier to fold, bend; see ply2]
ˈpliancy, ˈpliantness n
2. having a variety of uses; adaptable.
pli′an•cy, pli′ant•ness, n.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||pliant - capable of being influenced or formed; "the plastic minds of children"; "a pliant nature"|
|2.||pliant - capable of being shaped or bent or drawn out; "ductile copper"; "malleable metals such as gold"; "they soaked the leather to made it pliable"; "pliant molten glass"; "made of highly tensile steel alloy"|
formed - having or given a form or shape
|3.||pliant - able to adjust readily to different conditions; "an adaptable person"; "a flexible personality"; "an elastic clause in a contract"|
adaptable - capable of adapting (of becoming or being made suitable) to a particular situation or use; "to succeed one must be adaptable"; "the frame was adaptable to cloth bolts of different widths"
|4.||pliant - capable of being bent or flexed or twisted without breaking; "a flexible wire"; "a pliant young tree"|
1. impressionable, susceptible, manageable, adaptable, compliant, yielding, pliable, easily led, tractable, biddable, persuadable, influenceable She's proud and stubborn under that pliant exterior.
1. Capable of being shaped, bent, or drawn out, as by hammering or pressure:
2. Capable of adapting or being adapted: