socket(redirected from plugs and sockets)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
Related to plugs and sockets: electrical outlet
1. An opening or a cavity into which an inserted part is designed to fit: a light-bulb socket.
a. The concave part of a joint that receives the end of a bone.
b. A hollow or concavity into which a part, such as the eye, fits.
tr.v. sock·et·ed, sock·et·ing, sock·ets
To furnish with or insert into a socket.
1. (Electrical Engineering) a device into which an electric plug can be inserted in order to make a connection in a circuit
2. (Electrical Engineering) chiefly Brit such a device mounted on a wall and connected to the electricity supply. Informal Brit names: point or plug US and Canadian name: outlet
3. (Mechanical Engineering) a part with an opening or hollow into which some other part, such as a pipe, probe, etc, can be fitted
4. (Mechanical Engineering) a spanner head having a recess suitable to be fitted over the head of a bolt and a keyway into which a wrench can be fitted
5. (Anatomy) anatomy
a. a bony hollow into which a part or structure fits: a tooth socket; an eye socket.
b. the receptacle of a ball-and-socket joint
(tr) to furnish with or place into a socket
[C13: from Anglo-Norman soket a little ploughshare, from soc, of Celtic origin; compare Cornish soch ploughshare]
1. a hollow or concave part or piece that contains or fits a complementary part: the eye socket; a socket for a light bulb.v.t.
2. to place in or fit with a socket.
[1300–50; Middle English soket a spearhead (orig. in the shape of a plowshare), a hollow piece < Anglo-French; Old French soc plowshare -et -et]
- ball, socket - On a clothing snap, there is a ball and a socket.
- socket - From Middle English, first as "head of a spear, resembling a plowshare," from an Anglo-Norman French diminutive of French soc, "plowshare."
- acetabulum - The socket of the hip bone, into which the head of the femur fits.
- birn - The socket in a clarinet or other woodwind into which the mouthpiece fits.
Past participle: socketed
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||socket - a bony hollow into which a structure fits|
hip socket - the socket part of the ball-and-socket joint between the head of the femur and the innominate bone
|2.||socket - receptacle where something (a pipe or probe or end of a bone) is inserted|
ball-and-socket joint - a joint that can rotate within a socket
box end wrench, box wrench - a wrench with a closed loop (a socket) that fits over a nut or bolt head
receptacle - a container that is used to put or keep things in
socket wrench - a wrench with a handle onto which sockets of different sizes can be fitted
|3.||socket - a receptacle into which an electric device can be inserted|
electric socket - a socket into which a lightbulb can be inserted
receptacle - an electrical (or electronic) fitting that is connected to a source of power and equipped to receive an insert
ổ cắm điện
(of eye) → Augenhöhle f; (of joint) → Gelenkpfanne f; (of tooth) → Zahnhöhle f; to pull somebody’s arm out of its socket → jdm den Arm auskugeln
n (Anat, Tech) → Kugelgelenk nt
n (Tech) → Steckschlüssel m
a specially-made or specially-shaped hole or set of holes into which something is fitted. We'll need to have a new electric socket fitted into the wall for the television plug. sok نُقْرَه، مَقْبِس вдлъбнатина tomada zásuvka, zdířka die Höhle, die Steckdose stikkontakt υποδοχή, μπρίζα enchufe (pistiku)pesa, auk, õõs پيريز pistorasia douille; prise de courantשקע गर्तिका, कोटर utičnica, šupljina csatlakozóaljzat soket innstunga attacco, presa ソケット 소켓 kištukinis lizdas kontaktligzda soket stopcontactstikkontaktgniazdko ساكټ، غالي (لكه سترګ غالي ياژور غالي)، كاسه tomada dulie; priză паз; розетка zásuvka, objímka vtičnica utičnica fattning, hållare, uttag เบ้าปลั๊กตัวเมีย priz, duy 插座，插口 гніздо, патрон کسی چیز کا خانہ lỗ, hốc, ổ 插座，插口
socket→ مِقْبَس zásuvka fatning Steckdose πρίζα enchufe, toma pistorasia prise utičnica presa コンセント 소켓 contactdoos sokkel gniazdko tomada розетка eluttag ปลั๊กตัวเมีย priz ổ cắm điện 插座
n. hueco, [of a bone] fosa; [electric] enchufe.