Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A system of evaluating academic achievement based on grade points.
2. Any of various printing or writing systems for the blind, such as Braille, that use an alphabet of raised symbols or dots that correspond to letters.
3. Printing A system of graduating sizes of type in multiples of the point.
4. A system of penalizing drivers of motor vehicles for traffic violations by assigning points for each type of violation and revoking the driver's license if a certain number of points are accrued.
1. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) printing a system of measurement using the point as its unit. See point21
2. (Education) a system for evaluation of achievement, as in education or industry, based on awarding points
3. (Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) any system of writing or printing, such as Braille, that uses protruding dots
a system of promoting students on the basis of points representing their letter grades and credit hours.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||point system - a system of evaluation based on awarding points according to rules|
didactics, education, educational activity, instruction, pedagogy, teaching - the activities of educating or instructing; activities that impart knowledge or skill; "he received no formal education"; "our instruction was carefully programmed"; "good classroom teaching is seldom rewarded"
manufacture, industry - the organized action of making of goods and services for sale; "American industry is making increased use of computers to control production"
|2.||point system - a system of graduating sizes of type in multiples of the point|
|3.||point system - a system of writing or printing using patterns of raised dots that can be read by touch|
orthography, writing system - a method of representing the sounds of a language by written or printed symbols
braille - a point system of writing in which patterns of raised dots represent letters and numerals