Also found in: Idioms.
4. One of the units in a course, as on an ascending or descending scale:
5. A transitional interval beyond which some new action or different state of affairs is likely to begin or occur:
7. What one intends to do or achieve:
aim, ambition, design, end, goal, intent, intention, mark, meaning, object, objective, purpose, target, view, why.
Idioms: end in view, why and wherefore.
8. What a speech, piece of writing, or artistic work is about:
9. The gist of a specific action or situation:
1. To move (a weapon or blow, for example) in the direction of someone or something:
2. To call or direct attention to something:
3. To mark with punctuation:
1. To give grounds for believing in the existence or presence of:
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.