Also found in: Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. More than one; many; much: polyatomic.
2. More than usual; excessive; abnormal: polydipsia.
3. Polymer; polymeric: polyethylene.
1. more than one; many or much: polyhedron.
2. having an excessive or abnormal number or amount: polycythaemia.
[from Greek polus much, many; related to Old English fela many]
n., pl. pol•ies.
2. a garment made of polyester.
a combining form with the meanings “much, many” and, in the names of chemical compounds, “polymeric”: polyandry; polyethylene.
[< Greek, comb. form representing polýs; akin to Old English fela many. See plus]
A prefix meaning "many," as in polygon, a figure having many sides.
prefix meaning many. Used in the naming of chemical compounds.