Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to polyandry: fraternal polyandry
1. The condition or practice of having more than one husband at one time.
2. Zoology A mating pattern in which a female mates with more than one male in a single breeding season.
3. Botany The condition of having numerous stamens.
pol′y·an′drous (-ăn′drəs) adj.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Anthropology & Ethnology) the practice or condition of being married to more than one husband at the same time. Compare polygamy
2. (Zoology) the practice in animals of a female mating with more than one male during one breeding season
3. (Botany) the condition in flowers of having a large indefinite number of stamens
[C18: from Greek poluandria, from poly- + -andria from anēr man]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
pol•y•an•dry(ˈpɒl iˌæn dri, ˌpɒl iˈæn-)
1. the practice or condition of having more than one husband at one time.
2. (among female animals) the habit or system of having two or more mates, either simultaneously or successively.
3. Bot. the state of being polyandrous.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
the practice of having two or more husbands at a time. — polyandrous, adj.See also: Marriage
-Ologies & -Isms. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc. All rights reserved.
polyandry[ˈpɒlɪændrɪ] N → poliandria f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
polyandry[ˈpɒlɪændrɪ] n → poliandria
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995