Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to polymorphous: Polymorphous light eruption
1. Biology The occurrence of more than one form, as several alleles of a particular gene or winged and wingless forms of the same species.
2. Chemistry Crystallization of a compound in at least two distinct forms. Also called pleomorphism.
pol′y·mor′phic, pol′y·mor′phous adj.
1. having, taking, or passing through many different forms or stages
2. (Chemistry) (of a substance) exhibiting polymorphism
3. (Biology) (of an animal or plant) displaying or undergoing polymorphism
pol•y•mor•phous(ˌpɒl iˈmɔr fəs)
having, assuming, or passing through many or various forms, stages, or the like; polymorphic.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||polymorphous - relating to the crystallization of a compound in two or more different forms; "polymorphous crystallization"|
|2.||polymorphous - relating to the occurrence of more than one kind of individual (independent of sexual differences) in an interbreeding population; "a polymorphic species"|
|3.||polymorphous - having or occurring in several distinct forms; "man is both polymorphic and polytypic"; "a polymorphous god"|
multiform - occurring in or having many forms or shapes or appearances; "the multiform universe of nature and man"- John Dewey