Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
pom·e·lo(pŏm′ə-lō′) also pum·me·lo or pum·e·lo (pŭm′-)
n. pl. pom·e·los also pum·me·los or pum·e·los
1. A tropical Southeast Asian tree (Citrus maxima) closely related to the grapefruit and having very large round fruit with a thick rind and coarse-grained pulp.
2. The edible yellow fruit of this tree. In both senses also called shaddock.
[Probably alteration of pompelmous.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -losAlso called: shaddock
1. (Plants) a tropical rutaceous tree, Citrus maxima (or C. decumana), grown widely in oriental regions for its large yellow grapefruit-like edible fruit
2. (Plants) the fruit of this tree
3. (Plants) chiefly US another name for grapefruit
[C19: from Dutch pompelmoes, perhaps from pompoen big + Portuguese limão a lemon]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. -los.
1. the very large, yellow or orange citrus fruit of a tree, Citrus maxima, of SE Asia, closely related to the grapefruit.
2. the tree itself. Also called shaddock.
[1855–60; pseudo-Sp alter. of pomplemoose < Dutch pompelmoes shaddock, perhaps b. pompoen pumpkin and Portuguese limões, pl. of limão lemon]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||pomelo - southeastern Asian tree producing large fruits resembling grapefruits|
genus Citrus - orange; lemon; lime; etc.
|2.||pomelo - large pear-shaped fruit similar to grapefruit but with coarse dry pulp|
citrous fruit, citrus, citrus fruit - any of numerous fruits of the genus Citrus having thick rind and juicy pulp; grown in warm regions
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
pomelo[ˈpɒmɪˌləʊ] N (pomelos (pl)) → pomelo m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
pomelo(ˈpomələu) – plural ~ˈpomelos – noun
a large tropical citrus fruit similar to a grapefruit. pomelo pomelo jeruk 그레이프 프루트의 열매 pompelmoes ส้มโอ 柚子 柚子，文旦
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2013 K Dictionaries Ltd.