Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A supporter of the rights and power of the people.
2. Populist A supporter of the Populist Party.
1. Of or relating to populism or its advocates: a populist aversion to business monopolies.
2. Populist Of or relating to the Populist Party.
appealing to the interests or prejudices of ordinary people
(Government, Politics & Diplomacy) a person, esp a politician, who appeals to the interests or prejudices of ordinary people
(Historical Terms) history US a member of the People's Party, formed largely by agrarian interests to contest the 1892 presidential election. The movement gradually dissolved after the 1904 election
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) of, characteristic of, or relating to the People's Party, the Populists, or any individual or movement with similar aims
2. (Historical Terms) of, characteristic of, or relating to the People's Party, the Populists, or any individual or movement with similar aims
Pop•u•list(ˈpɒp yə lɪst)
1. a member of the Populist or People's Party.
2. (l.c.) a supporter of populism.adj.
3. of or pertaining to the Populist Party.
4. (l.c.) of, pertaining to, or characteristic of populism or its supporters.