Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. po·ros·i·ties
1. The state or property of being porous.
2. A structure or part that is porous.
3. The ratio of the volume of all the pores in a material to the volume of the whole.
[Middle English porosite, from Old French, from Medieval Latin porōsitās, from porōsus, porous; see porous.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -ties
1. the state or condition of being porous
2. (Geological Science) geology the ratio of the volume of space to the total volume of a rock
[C14: from Medieval Latin porōsitās, from Late Latin porus pore2]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
po•ros•i•ty(pɔˈrɒs ɪ ti, poʊ-, pə-)
n., pl. -ties.
1. the state or quality of being porous.
2. (in rock or other natural material) the ratio of aggregated pore space to the volume of the entire mass: used as a measure of the amount of fluid, as oil, that a geologic stratum might hold.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||porosity - the property of being porous; being able to absorb fluids|
consistency, eubstance, consistence, body - the property of holding together and retaining its shape; "wool has more body than rayon"; "when the dough has enough consistency it is ready to bake"
sponginess - the porosity of a sponge
permeability, permeableness - the property of something that can be pervaded by a liquid (as by osmosis or diffusion)
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
porosity[pɔːˈrɒsɪtɪ] N → porosidad f
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
n (of rocks, substance) → Porosität f; (of skin) → Porigkeit f
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007