Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
(Linguistics) another name for blend7
[C19: from the idea that two meanings are packed into one word]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. to mix smoothly and inseparably.
2. to prepare by mixing various sorts or grades: I blend this tea by mixing chamomile with pekoe.v.i.
3. to intermingle smoothly and inseparably.
4. to fit or relate harmoniously: The voices blend well.
5. to have no perceptible separation: Sea and sky seemed to blend.n.
6. a mixture or kind produced by blending.
7. a word made by putting together parts of other words, as motel, made from motor and hotel, or guesstimate, from guess and estimate.
8. a sequence of two or more consonant sounds within a syllable, as the bl in blend; cluster.
[1250–1300; Middle English, Old English blendan to mix, for blandan]
syn: See mix.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
A word formed by combining the sounds and meanings of two other words.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||portmanteau word - a new word formed by joining two others and combining their meanings; "`smog' is a blend of `smoke' and `fog'"; "`motel' is a portmanteau word made by combining `motor' and `hotel'"; "`brunch' is a well-known portmanteau"|
motel - a motor hotel
brunch - combination breakfast and lunch; usually served in late morning
shopaholic - a compulsive shopper; "shopaholics can never resist a bargain"
workaholic - person with a compulsive need to work
dandle - move (a baby) up and down in one's arms or on one's knees
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
n → Kombinationsform f
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995