postiche(redirected from postique)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. Something false; a sham.
2. A small hairpiece; a toupee.
1. (Architecture) (of architectural ornament) inappropriately applied; sham
2. false or artificial; spurious
3. (Hairdressing & Grooming) another term for hairpiece2
4. an imitation, counterfeit, or substitute
5. anything that is false; sham or pretence
[C19: from French, from Italian apposticcio (n), from Late Latin appositīcius (adj); see apposite]
1. artificial; counterfeit.n.
2. a false hairpiece.
[1850–55; < French < Italian apposticcio < Vulgar Latin *appositīcius added to]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||postiche - a covering or bunch of human or artificial hair used for disguise or adornment|
Afro-wig - a wig that gives the appearance of an Afro hairdo
attire, garb, dress - clothing of a distinctive style or for a particular occasion; "formal attire"; "battle dress"
switch - hairpiece consisting of a tress of false hair; used by women to give shape to a coiffure
wig - hairpiece covering the head and made of real or synthetic hair
|2.||postiche - something that is a counterfeit; not what it seems to be|
fake book - a fake in the form of an imitation book; used to fill bookcases of people who wish to appear scholarly
imitation - something copied or derived from an original
Potemkin village - something that seems impressive but in fact lacks substance