pother(redirected from pothered)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal.
1. A commotion; a disturbance.
2. A state of nervous activity; a fuss.
3. A cloud of smoke or dust that chokes or smothers.
v. poth·ered, poth·er·ing, poth·ers
To make confused; trouble; worry.
To be overly concerned with trifles; fuss.
1. a commotion, fuss, or disturbance
2. a choking cloud of smoke, dust, etc
to make or be troubled or upset
[C16: of unknown origin]
1. commotion; uproar.
2. a heated discussion, debate, or argument.
3. a choking or suffocating cloud, as of smoke or dust.v.t., v.i.
4. to worry; bother.
[1585–95; orig. uncertain]
Past participle: pothered
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||pother - an excited state of agitation; "he was in a dither"; "there was a terrible flap about the theft"|
agitation - a mental state of extreme emotional disturbance
|Verb||1.||pother - make upset or troubled|
|2.||pother - make a fuss; be agitated|