Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
Related to powdering: powdering nose
1. A substance consisting of ground, pulverized, or otherwise finely dispersed solid particles.
2. Any of various preparations in the form of powder, as certain cosmetics and medicines.
3. A dry explosive mixture, such as gunpowder.
4. Light dry snow.
tr.v. pow·dered, pow·der·ing, pow·dersIdioms:
1. To turn into or produce as a powder: tea that is powdered.
2. To put powder on: powdered the cake with sugar.
3. To strew or ornament with small objects or flecks: The stars powdered the sky.
keep (one's) powder dry
To be ready for a challenge with little warning.
take a powder
To make a quick departure; run away.
[Middle English poudre, from Old French, from Latin pulvis, pulver-.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
a thin sprinkling of something on a surface
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007