Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to power plant: Thermal power plant
1. A complex of structures, machinery, and associated equipment for generating electric energy from another source of energy, such as nuclear reactions or a hydroelectric dam. Also called generating station, power station.
2. All the equipment, including structural members, that constitutes a unit power source: the power plant of a ship.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Electrical Engineering) the complex, including machinery, associated equipment, and the structure housing it, that is used in the generation of power, esp electrical power
2. (Electrical Engineering) the equipment supplying power to a particular machine or for a particular operation or process
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a plant, including engines, dynamos, etc., and the building or buildings necessary for the generation of power, as electric or nuclear power.
2. the machinery for supplying power for a particular mechanical process or operation.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||power plant - an electrical generating station |
busbar, bus - an electrical conductor that makes a common connection between several circuits; "the busbar in this computer can transmit data either way between any two components of the system"
power grid, power system, grid - a system of high tension cables by which electrical power is distributed throughout a region
station - a facility equipped with special equipment and personnel for a particular purpose; "he started looking for a gas station"; "the train pulled into the station"
turbogenerator - generator consisting of a steam turbine coupled to an electric generator for the production of electric power
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.