Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to prayer book: Book of Common Prayer
1. A book containing religious prayers.
2. Prayer Book The Book of Common Prayer.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Ecclesiastical Terms) ecclesiast a book containing the prayers used at church services or recommended for private devotions
2. (Anglicanism) Church of England (often capitals) another name for Book of Common Prayer
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a book containing formal prayers for religious devotions.
2. (usu. caps.) Book of Common Prayer.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||prayer book - a book containing prayers |
book - a written work or composition that has been published (printed on pages bound together); "I am reading a good book on economics"
breviary - (Roman Catholic Church) a book of prayers to be recited daily certain priests and members of religious orders
missal - (Roman Catholic Church) a book containing all the prayers and responses needed to celebrate Mass throughout the year
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.