Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Preparatory: a college prep course; did extensive prep work for the interview.
1. A preparatory school.
2. Preparation: Daily practices are the best prep for the upcoming track meet.
3. A preppie.
v. prepped, prep·ping, preps
1. To be enrolled in and attend a preparatory school.
2. To prepare for something: prepping for a radio interview.
1. To prepare (someone) for a medical examination or surgical procedure.
2. To prepare or prime: prep a surface for painting.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
vb, preps, prepping or prepped
(Medicine) (tr) to prepare (a patient) for a medical operation or procedure
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., adj., v. prepped, prep•ping. n.
1. a preparatory school.
2. a preliminary or warm-up activity or event; trial run.
4. the act of preparing a patient for a medical or surgical procedure.adj.
6. involving or used for preparation: the mortuary's prep room.v.t.
7. to prepare (a person) for a test, debate, etc.
8. to prepare (a patient) for a medical or surgical procedure.v.i.
9. to prepare; get ready: to prep for the game.
10. to attend a preparatory school.
[1860–65; by shortening]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||prep - preparatory school work done outside school (especially at home)|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
A. ABBR (Brit) (Scol) =preparation (= work) → tareas fpl, deberes mpl; (= period) → tiempo m de estudio, hora f de los deberes
B. VI (US) to prep for → prepararse para (Scol) → hacer el curso de preparación para (los estudios universitarios)
D. CPD prep school N (Brit)
see preparatory B
see preparatory B
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
(= study period) → étude f
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
prepn (fam) preparación quirúrgica, preparación del paciente para un procedimiento o una cirugía
English-Spanish/Spanish-English Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.