prepotent(redirected from prepotencies)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical.
1. Greater in power, influence, or force than another or others; predominant.
2. Genetics Of, having, or exhibiting prepotency.
[Middle English, from Latin praepotēns, praepotent-, present participle of praeposse, to be more powerful : prae-, pre- + posse, to be able or powerful; see poti- in Indo-European roots.]
1. greater in power, force, or influence
2. (Biology) biology showing prepotency
[C15: from Latin praepotens very powerful, from posse to be able]
1. preeminent in power, authority, or influence; predominant.
2. noting, pertaining to, or having genetic prepotency.
[1375–1425; late Middle English < Latin praepotent- (s. of praepotēns), present participle of praeposse to have greater power]