presidium(redirected from presidia)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. pre·sid·i·a (-ē-ə) or pre·sid·i·ums
1. Any of various permanent executive committees in Communist countries having power to act for a larger governing body.
2. Presidium The executive committee of the Supreme Soviet headed by the president in the former Soviet Union.
[Russian prezidium, from Latin praesidium, garrison; see presidio.]
n, pl -iums or -ia (-ɪə)
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) (often capital) (in Communist countries) a permanent committee of a larger body, such as a legislature, that acts for it when it is in recess
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) a collective presidency, esp of a nongovernmental organization
[C20: from Russian prezidium, from Latin praesidium, from praesidēre to superintend; see preside]
pre•sid•i•um(prɪˈsɪd i əm)
n., pl. -sid•i•ums, -sid•i•a (-ˈsɪd i ə)
1. (often cap.) (esp. in Communist countries) an administrative committee, usu. permanent and governmental, acting when its parent body is in recess but exercising full powers.
2. an executive board or committee.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||presidium - a permanent executive committee in socialist countries that has all the powers of some larger legislative body and that acts for it when it is not in session|