Also found in: Financial, Wikipedia.
Related to pretest: Pinterest
a. A preliminary test administered to determine a student's baseline knowledge or preparedness for an educational experience or course of study.
b. A test taken for practice.
2. The advance testing of something, such as a questionnaire, product, or idea.
tr. & intr.v. (prē-tĕst′) pre·test·ed, pre·test·ing, pre·tests
To subject to or conduct a pretest.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
to test (something) before presenting it to its intended public or client
the act or instance of pretesting
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
pre•test(n. ˈpriˌtɛst; v. priˈtɛst)
1. an advance or preliminary testing or trial, as of a new product.
2. a test given to determine if students are sufficiently prepared to begin a new course of study.
3. a test taken for practice.v.t.
4. to give a pretest to.v.i.
5. to conduct a pretest.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: pretested
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011